Monday, December 13, 2010

New Goal: The American West

Okay.  After a 4 hour stay at the library, I have changed my research interest for winter break based on the books I could find.  It looks like I am going to be delving into both literature and issues of the American West.  There are many conflicts in this area beyond wild horses, and I feel that it is important to know them when considering horses in the mix.

So, The stack of books before me are as follows:
  1. The American West at Risk ~ Wilshire, Nielson, Hazlett
  2. Wilderness Issues in the Arid Lands of the Western United States ~ Edited by Zeveloff and McKell
  3. The Western Range Revisted: Removing Livestock from Public Lands to conserve Native Biodiversity ~ Debra L. Donahue
  4. Wild Horses and Sacred Cows ~Richard Symanski
I have already read the forward (Edward Abbey) and first chapter of Wild Horses and Sacred Cows.  I am really excited to read this book combined with The Western Range.  It will be interesting to see how these two authors portray cattle and horses in the arid west.

I will check back with my musings as I read these!

(Also, I know the picture looks out of sync with iconic "american west" images, but this one suited because imagine me huddled in the warm campus library...cold, wet snow blanketing my world while I study!)

No comments:

Post a Comment